Friday, February 01, 2008

the top 10

1 –The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter (Josh Ritter). It's everything you want in an album. It's country, it's dancy - basically, it is fun adventure in an album. Who would sing "screamin' like horses in a barn burnin' up?" Only Josh Ritter. You are indeed singing me the right blues, Mr. Ritter, thank you for asking.

2 – The Flying Club Cup (Beirut). Every time I listen to this album, I think of an opulent circus of subdued but brilliant colors where all the sad, whimsical characters move in slow motion to do something that's more important than I or they understand.

3 – Marry Me (St. Vincent). – Edgy, smart, sweet.

4 – Boxer (The National). When I hear this album playing somewhere, I always look up and slow down and my eyes squint with a thought of something. It's captivating in the subtlest of ways that grows on you more with more listens.

5 – The Reminder (Feist). A couple disclaimers. 1) I may be partial to this album because it brightened so many days in Peru and made me feel at home. 2) I don't know Fiest's other albums well. That said, it's clean and honest and still fun - just like church kids...well some of them.

6 – Neon Bible (Arcade Fire). They had an organ. It's a whole new animal that I can't help but love.

7 - In Rainbows (Radiohead). I sense gasps at my sacrilege for having placed Radiohead so low. It's not in my blood as it is for some, but this album is both a solid and ethereal work.

8 - Friend and Foe (Menomena). I like the drums and how I often don't know what they are up to.

9 – Armchair Apocrypha (Andrew Bird). Is it Andrew Bird? Yes. Is it therefore fabulous? Yes….but I wasn't impressed by anything specifically new. I don't know what new direction this album took. That's ok because the general direction of Andrew Bird is positive, but it's just…good.

10 – Shepherd's Dog (Iron and Wine). It makes my heart sway.

Sunset Rubdown and Stars, I want you to be on my list. I want that very badly.

· Random Spirit Lover (Sunset Rubdown). It has piano and brushed cymbal fireworks, and yet it's still melancholy through and through.

· Stars (In our Bedroom after the War). So good. So fresh, but not fresh enough.

1 Comments:

Blogger millhouse said...

Good list. I think I need to hear more Josh Ritter. Oh yeah, congrats that you will be an aunt soon!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home