Friday, November 09, 2007

the real rub

Why is applying for jobs so frustrating? I can't quite wrap my head around the answer. I think it might have something to do with the sheer inefficiency of having to fill in blanks on an online application with the information that is on your resume that you have already attached to the very same page. Or maybe it has to do with feeling like an unsuccessful prostitute every time you write another cover letter and tweak it a bit to "sell yourself" to the next organization. Perhaps I really started to dislike this process when my third Gallup survey popped up after finishing an application. The last two came after I had already received one email that let me know I was not a good fit to work with Gallup because of my responses to the first questionnaire.

Am I ...
More confident than other people?
A very confident person?
Confident in certain situations?
Confident when the situation requires it?
I DON'T KNOW. What do they want me to say? I don't know which is more true.

Do I fire people if they aren't loyal to their company? How would I know? I've never fired anyone. Is everyone entirely faithful to their workplace with their entire heart and soul day by day? Argh.

I can't even quit all this because I don't have a job to quit.
...maybe that's the real rub in it all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Elissa, you can tell Gallup to suck it. One of my friends is director of marketing there, and he probably wrote that survey. I frequently tell him to shut it when he launches into the importance of my "career strengths" or something else when looking for a job. And yes, I commiserate greatly with the job hunt. Best of luck to us both!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Jacob said...

Cant you get a job doing spanish things? You seemed really good at it.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home