motorized rickshaws
i've been quite obsessed as of late with mototaxis, which we've come to affectionately call motorized rickshaws. i've included some of my favorite shots of them below in this post, but you must remember that it's quite difficult to get a good shot of one in motion because traffic can be crazy.

(a little example of the crazy traffic here)
anyway, these modes of transport really add to excitement of huanuco because they are pretty much a box attached to a three-wheeled scooter, and they are:
1) incredibly dangerous (tip easily and offer no protection for driver)

2) decorative (note the curtains in some)

3) musical (share their fabulous mini-radios with the passerby)
I can't post a picture of their music.
Now I know you’re dying to know if I’ve ridden in a mototaxi yet. Well, on Friday I went downtown with my new found friend Grant to do a little shopping. Part of the reason we went was to walk along the river and check out this old bridge. It’s been here for about 400 years, and the rocks in it are held together with a paste made of lime, flour, and egg whites. Crazy, eh?
After finishing our shopping, Grant and I did indeed hail a motorized rickshaw which putzed it’s way home with us inside. It was exhilarating, as I’m sure you can see by my face...

Our crazy transportation for the day didn’t end with the mototaxi because after that trip I sat in on Grant’s private Spanish tutoring time and was invited by his tutor to go to a worship service at a church down the road and also to get brochetas. Dorcas, the tutor, said her husband would pick us up at 8:00 on his moto. When 8:30 rolled around, Carlos showed up(late, just like you should be in Peru), and I found out that Grant had not understood that moto meant the three of us would be on motorcycle. He was a little nervous, but I absolutely loved the ride, the worship service, the brochetas and the anticucho that we had later. (Brochetas are greasy kabobs, and anticucho is a kabob of fried cow heart.) They are delicious. I tried to take a picture of all of us on the moto as we drove home after the great food to capture the memory for all of you, but alas all you can see is MY sheer happiness.


It was a pretty great day.
(a little example of the crazy traffic here)
anyway, these modes of transport really add to excitement of huanuco because they are pretty much a box attached to a three-wheeled scooter, and they are:
1) incredibly dangerous (tip easily and offer no protection for driver)
2) decorative (note the curtains in some)
3) musical (share their fabulous mini-radios with the passerby)
I can't post a picture of their music.
Now I know you’re dying to know if I’ve ridden in a mototaxi yet. Well, on Friday I went downtown with my new found friend Grant to do a little shopping. Part of the reason we went was to walk along the river and check out this old bridge. It’s been here for about 400 years, and the rocks in it are held together with a paste made of lime, flour, and egg whites. Crazy, eh?
After finishing our shopping, Grant and I did indeed hail a motorized rickshaw which putzed it’s way home with us inside. It was exhilarating, as I’m sure you can see by my face...
Our crazy transportation for the day didn’t end with the mototaxi because after that trip I sat in on Grant’s private Spanish tutoring time and was invited by his tutor to go to a worship service at a church down the road and also to get brochetas. Dorcas, the tutor, said her husband would pick us up at 8:00 on his moto. When 8:30 rolled around, Carlos showed up(late, just like you should be in Peru), and I found out that Grant had not understood that moto meant the three of us would be on motorcycle. He was a little nervous, but I absolutely loved the ride, the worship service, the brochetas and the anticucho that we had later. (Brochetas are greasy kabobs, and anticucho is a kabob of fried cow heart.) They are delicious. I tried to take a picture of all of us on the moto as we drove home after the great food to capture the memory for all of you, but alas all you can see is MY sheer happiness.
It was a pretty great day.

2 Comments:
Egg Whites & Flour dried on anything is bad news, they would definitely hold a bridge together. Never rinse the two together down your sink.
elissa, i'm glad you got your ride in a M.R. so quickly...i hope it's out of your system, just like i hope the fried cow heart is also out of your system. :P
Post a Comment
<< Home