political correctness
in this age of being political correct, i am often amazed at what people still say and do...
For instance, yesterday at work I had a co-worker who is about 10 years older than me and is from a small Washington town tell me a shocking little tale. At her high school the class' rival school across town had the the team name "The Bombers".
Ok, last story i swear, but it's a good one. I was walking past 14th and P where homeless people like to sit and ask for money outside the post and nickel. well as i strolled along i saw a policeman talking to a man and women sitting there with cardboard signs requesting assistance. as i drew closer the officer got on his bike and pulled away. as he started to peddle the homeless women on the corner yelled as loudly as she could, "Hey, [Bob] (name has been changed to protect his identity). I just wanted to tell you that you've got a great butt."
For instance, yesterday at work I had a co-worker who is about 10 years older than me and is from a small Washington town tell me a shocking little tale. At her high school the class' rival school across town had the the team name "The Bombers".
She than told me that their mascot was a mushroom cloud...
Apparently, their town was where the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was made. definitely, something to be proud of and to name a high school team after, if you ask me. ( if you are reading this and don't know me, you should sense sarcasm in those words.) This was brutal encounter #1 with political incorrectness.Encounter #2 with the politically incorrect world happened on the 7th, which was election day. It was a cool, crisp morning, and I, trying to be a good voter, added research on the candidates to the daily morning, paper-writing homework. As I mixed up some pancake batter, i perused the Journal Star's voter's guide and suddenly was affronted with one little phrase about iniciative 422 . This iniciative concerned the preservation of small, rural class 1 schools. An appeal of this legislative bill would preserve these schools, which it termed as "havens" for kids who found themselves relegated to all hispanic high-schools.
Haven? do hispanic high school kids regularly attack good old white nebraskans? i live in a world of political incorrectness.
Ok, last story i swear, but it's a good one. I was walking past 14th and P where homeless people like to sit and ask for money outside the post and nickel. well as i strolled along i saw a policeman talking to a man and women sitting there with cardboard signs requesting assistance. as i drew closer the officer got on his bike and pulled away. as he started to peddle the homeless women on the corner yelled as loudly as she could, "Hey, [Bob] (name has been changed to protect his identity). I just wanted to tell you that you've got a great butt."
...Come on, it has to be politically incorrect to say that to a cop. But i haven't laughed that hard in quite some time.

5 Comments:
wow, Bombers...that's pretty bad. almost as awful as the "Crusaders."
I wish we could have been the bombers, that would have been awesome. it would have been "da bomb."
lindsey,
I did go down south over thanksgiving break to AL and GA, and I saw my fair share of nut shops selling confederate flags along the highways...it was quite the experience. However, that blind date sounds worse. People usually make blind dates sound like bad things, but I really, really want to get set up on some blind dates because they make for such great stories.
Intiative. Spelling Correctness.
Sometimes I wonder how much of political correctness is selfishness, not thinking of others.
Post a Comment
<< Home