Thursday, August 02, 2007

Climbing, Cycling, and (best of all) Canyoning

well, the last blog was sort of pitiful so i thought i should share some of the awesome adventures that I am having here instead of just talking about sad things. we'll start back in June with climbing a mountain near the Temple of Kotosh. Here's a couple pictures of Kotosh - it's really old (pre-Incan).


































Here's my friend Ethan that I climbed with.
We thought we'd have a guide to take us up the few hour march, but he couldn't come so he drew us a map in the dirt and we just went. We found the "cave" at the top after some serious cactus interaction, but it was more of a rock overhang. LAME! So This is my favorite cave painting. It reminds me of a Marvin the Martian.











Here's a view of Huanuco, all tucked down in the valley.










Well, next adventure was at school in Quito, when we went biking into the jungle near BaƱos. It was about a 40k bike ride. Happily, it was mostly downhill. After it we went swimming in an ice cold river. I really like the jungle, and I took some pictures of it as we rode.



















These are my friends sarah and emma. They enjoyed the ride.
Oh, we also crossed a gorge to see a waterfall, and road back in a little cart.










This is the cart.













These are the falls. And then we have some more shots of the scenery. (scroll faster if i'm boring you.)




























Ok, now for my favorite adventure, and the one with the best pictures by far. Canyoning - i sadly still haven't gotten the best pictures of this from one of my friends, but this will at least give you an idea. We wore giant blue diaper harnesses, converse high-tops (i suppose this was due to their fabulous grip...), and Bob the Builder helmets in order to repel down waterfalls.












...the word you are searching for is hot.










My trusty, hot pink converse.










That is our professor in the middle of the line of girls. He was such a good sport and could really work it in his wet suit.

For some reason Scott looked the funniest of all of us because he had diaper harness issues, women's tennis shoes, and a round helmet without the expected ear protection. It was SOOO hilarious.













the harness.













poor guy.

The waterfalls that we went down were about 15ft, 40ft, and 150ft. You would just walk down them, and then when the guide at the top blew his whistle, fling yourself backwards into the boiling pit of water below you...that's exactly how it felt. I went first and found out that the jump into the water was from a point a little higher than any of us had expected so I refused to go for a little while. Eventually, I jumbed.









Me going down.










Me jumping.

It felt almost as unsafe as it sounds when we first started, but it was quite fun. We also set up a slide at the first falls which was awesome. I always want to slide in waterfalls, and I got the chance to this time.












The last and largest waterfall was amazing. We didn't actually have rock to go down for the majority of it, so you just lowered yourself through the air. It was less difficult and beautiful to see the jungle as you dangled in it in a waterfall. AMAZING. Well, i think i'm done bragging for now, but don't worry. I'm sure I'll be back for more.

2 Comments:

Blogger aaron holmes said...

i think the actual word i was looking for was "i'm laughing out loud by myself right now because those rappelling(?) suits are beyond funny"

i guess that's several words...

10:56 AM  
Blogger Nikki Moore said...

i thought this was a brand-new post, but then i realized you'd just changed the spacing of the pictures, or whatever.

i miss you! i miss going to lunch with you and talking with you. when do you return to our fair shores?

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home